[Samba] Re: installing Samba as non-root user at work - please help.

spamreceptacle at gmail.com spamreceptacle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:42:07 GMT 2007

Hi,

I was able to actually get this to work!  I successfully mapped my Linux
home directory within Windows on a non-root smb install.

I was able to get smbd to run OK with the non-standard ports.

I then needed to do ssh tunneling to forward port 139 on a Windows Loopback
Network device to the non-standard port of 1139 on my Linux box.  I used a
method similar to this.

http://smithii.com/map_a_network_drive_over_ssh_in_windows

I'm now in business.

My next question is, can I have other users in my group map their own home
directories by using my smbd server that's running on my Linux box?

I'm assuming I'd need to add the users to the smbpasswd file.

But how does that all work?  If I were to add another user and choose my own
password for that user, I'm assuming I can't just map his home drive and
have full privileges to it (which is not what I want).  Does the smbpasswd
have to match the Linux password for the user?  If not, wow else would it
grant proper access to files, if it would seem I can masquerade as this user
and use an smb password that is different from his own Linux password.

Thanks