[Samba] Q: how to collect user/group-names

Chris Osicki osk at admin.swisscom-mobile.ch
Mon Sep 24 16:29:03 GMT 2007

Hi

Sorry if it's not 100% appropriate for this list, cannot think of better
place to find people with lots of know-how from Unix and Windows.
I'm currently working on replacing EMC's Celerra file servers by Linux/Samba.
The SID to UID/GID mapping table on Celerra is very large, ~50'000 entries
and I don't want to pollute my LDAP server with all this (using winbind with
LDAP back-end). Most of those entries are there for historical reasons and are
just useless.
Now my question: does anybody know a tool working under Windows to scan a
filesystem and collect all usernames/groupnames (or SIDS) used?
Any Samba's tool having this capability?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chris