[Samba] Samba PDC - How to disable system locking on Windows XP

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:20:09 GMT 2007

> > > I have tried many approaches and am out of idea.  I would like my
> > > Windows XP to stop locking the screen when I leave for 10 minutes or
> > > so.  I know this is an XP question, but I feel it is related to Samba
> > > PDC since all suggestions that  I have found indicate I should not be
> > > seeing this
> > This is purely a Windows question and has nothing at all to do with
> > Samba
> > Unless you have domain policies (via an Samba server in NT4 PDC mode)
> > that define screen saver preferences this is entirely a workstation
> > configuration or user profile issue.
> What what what, Samba can do policies

NT4 domain policies, yes.  NT4 domain policies are entirely passive and
are really just a shared file.   Samba cannot do AD policies / GPO
policies.

This is well documented in the official Samba Guide and HOWTO.  Although
this is really entirely a Windows issue as Samba doesn't really 'do
anything' when using NT4 policies.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com