[Samba] wierd permissions issue

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Thu Sep 20 19:25:15 GMT 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007, "Frank Van Damme" <frank.vandamme at gmail.com>
sent a missive stating:
> On 9/20/07, Henrik Hudson <lists at rhavenn.net> wrote:
> > Hey List-
> >
> > Okay, I've got a 2003 AD Server which has all the office users setup,
> > groups, etc...   I have a FreeBSD apache development box with a couple of
> > shares on it for devels to use. This devel box also has proftpd
> > authentication external domain users via PAM.
> >
> > The issue I was having is that the FTP users could login, but they
> > couldn't write or create files. The permissions were showing up as:
> >
> > username  :  BUILTIN\users
> > files are mostly 664 and directories are all 775
> >
> > I'm guessing this is relating to the "Domain Users" group. So, I changed
> > the group to be 'internalgroup' of which everyone is a member. Now, the
> > FTP users have zero issue, but the internal users now can't create new
> > files in those directories via the fileshares.
> >
> > I have double checked that everyone is in the 'internalgroup'. I even
> > tried setting the 'Primary Group' option in Windows to be 'internalgroup'
> > and having a user reboot and try again. No dice. As soon as I change the
> > group owner back to 'BUILTIN\users' everything works fine again for
> > internal users, but FTP users are hosed again.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> It's possible yith Samba to make shares read-only with
> read-only = yes
> or
> writeable = no
> (which are the same directives but the other way around).
>
> Maybe you have done so by accident or your default configuration comes
> with these?

Thanks for the response. I narrowed it down to a dreamweaver issue (????) .
Users can create, modify, move, delete, do everything outside of dreamweaver
with the same permissions and then as soon as they try and save something
inside of Dreamweaver it bitches it can't creat the TMP file and delete both
the TMP and the original file. So, looking up that route.

Thanks.

henrik

--
Henrik Hudson