[Samba] Windows Vista Woes PLZ help

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:23:57 GMT 2007

On 9/20/07, James <james at nttmcl.com> wrote:
> Hi guys i asked about this a couple days ago but i'm guessing everyone
> glanced over it.
>
> So here's my problem.
> I have a SambaPDC with LDAP
> With WinXP i can join/login the domain fine.
> With WinVista i can join the domain but can't login to it after i join
> to the domain. It gives me an RPC failure. I noticed that it doesn't
> seem to even find the PDC.
> I don't even get any transaction in my Samba log after i've ramped up
> the log level.
> I also do a tcpdump and the first time i try to login i'll get some type
> of transaction but if i try again it won't even attempt to send packets
> to my PDC
>
> I've already changed the ntlmv2 parameter in the vista machine.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> -James

James, List,

I don't know a thing about Vista, but I'll do a wild guess: MS finally
dropped Wins in Vista and requires DNS to figure out where the domain
controller is? Maybe you could try adding an SRV record to your DNS
server (which you probably have) and see if the error messages change.
On our lan 95% of the "I can't find my PDC" errors are due to DNS
problems.

--
Frank Van Damme