[Samba] group mapping on a member server - winbindd and solaris 10

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:49:42 GMT 2007

>From what I can tell it does look as if I have to run winbindd on
member servers, even if NIS is used, to get SID's mapping consistently
across the domain.

The PDC is Samba 3.025a on Solaris 10. Two member servers are Samba
3.025a on solaris 9.

If i start winbindd on a memv, the "wbinfo  -u" and "wbinfo -g"
commands show my users and groups.   However, the winbindd.log shows

[2007/09/18 17:36:39, 3] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_pipe_bind(2081)
  rpc_pipe_bind: Remote machine MYPDC  pipe \lsarpc fnum 0x74c1 bind
request returned ok.
[2007/09/18 17:36:39, 3] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_pipe_bind(2081)
  rpc_pipe_bind: Remote machine MYPDC pipe \lsarpc fnum 0x74c2 bind
request returned ok.
[2007/09/18 17:36:39, 3] rpc_parse/parse_lsa.c:lsa_io_sec_qos(224)
  lsa_io_sec_qos: length c does not match size 8
[2007/09/18 17:36:39, 1]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu(625)
  cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR received from remote machine MYPDC pipe
\lsarpc fnum 0x74c2!
[2007/09/18 17:36:39, 3] rpc_parse/parse_lsa.c:lsa_io_sec_qos(224)
  lsa_io_sec_qos: length c does not match size 8

I also have a member server running Samba 3.024 on Fedora Core 6.
Winbind does not generate this error.  I also don't get this error if
I run winbindd on the PDC (although I don't  have any need to, since
group mapping is working fine on that machine.)

I have not setup winbind entries in nsswitch.conf on any  server.
(Not sure if I need to and whether it will cause issues with unix
level logins.)

Thanks