[Samba] Logging with VFS - /var/log/messages is getting to BIG.

FC Mario Patty fcmario76 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 03:37:19 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have used the vfs to log the activities of user while they're accessing
the samba share. My problem are:
1. The /var/log/messages is getting to BIG. Once in a day I move the
messages log file into another directory and below is the size of them.

-rw-------  1 root root 134357249 Sep  9 23:45 messages.2007-09-09
-rw-------  1 root root 310779718 Sep 10 23:45 messages.2007-09-10
-rw-------  1 root root 592374293 Sep 11 23:45 messages.2007-09-11
-rw-------  1 root root 713380890 Sep 12 23:45 messages.2007-09-12
-rw-------  1 root root 792551326 Sep 13 23:45 messages.2007-09-13
-rw-------  1 root root 765392872 Sep 14 23:45 messages.2007-09-14
-rw-------  1 root root 621765259 Sep 15 23:45 messages.2007-09-15
-rw-------  1 root root 371995366 Sep 16 23:45 messages.2007-09-16
-rw-------  1 root root 636443300 Sep 17 23:45 messages.2007-09-17

    Question: is there a way to decrease the size of /var/log/messages?

2. I want to log activities to enother share either, the "data2" share. But
after reloading the smb.conf file, users cannot access the "data2" .
    Question: Was my configuration right of was it not? Currently I'm
commenting the old configuration with the '#' signs.

I put the smb.conf with the related parameters here. Can anybody give me a
clue about what was I missing here? Thank you for your help.

#################################
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 0 vfs:0

[warehouse]
        path = /warehouse
        browseable = Yes
        read only = No
        inherit acls = No
        create mode = 0775
        directory mode = 0775
        vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:failure = none
        full_audit:success = mkdir rename unlink rmdir pwrite write open
        full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m

[data2]
        path = /data
        read only = No
        browseable = Yes
#       vfs objects = full_audit
#        full_audit:failure = none
#        full_audit:success = mkdir rename unlink rmdir open pwrite write
#        full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m

Regards,