[Samba] Windows XP Roaming Profiles Firefox Problem

Travis Brooks inelor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 02:34:15 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have seemed to run into a snag and am wondering if any kind soul on here
has any thoughts of what the problem may be, I have roaming profiles setup
for a network of Windows XP Pro computers, using a domain controller.  I am
currently using Samba 3 on SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586) with the
2.6.16.21-0.25-bigsmp kernel, the following folders in the users profiles
are redirected for performance "Application DataDesktop My Documents
Favorites" .  And these ones are not redirected  "Cookies Local Settings
NetHood Recent SendTo Start Menu Templates ntuser.dat" .

The problem is before the summer everything was working fine and  when I
came back after the summer Firefox will not start, unless you uninstall it
and reinstall it which is ok but it is a hassle for everyone to do and
clearly isn't a good fix.  As far as I know nothing was changed on the
network. Has anyone else have this problem?

Here is the config file for samba.

[global]

        # Set high for more informaion (9 max).
        debug level = 9

        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = NETBIOSNAME

        # Server has multiple IP interfaces and belongs to different
        # subnets. We only want to be a PDC for trafic comming from one
        # subnet.
        interfaces = a.b.c.d
        bind interfaces only = Yes

        passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tbd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*Password* "%n\n" *New*Password* "%n\n" *changed*
        unix password sync = Yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -s /bin/false -M
%u
        logon path = \\netbiosname\profiles\%U
        logon drive = P:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no

[homes]
        comment = Home Directory
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0611
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        map hidden = Yes
        map archive = Yes
        map system = Yes

[profiles]
        comment = Roaming Profiles for Windows
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0611
        directory mask = 0700
        profile acls = Yes
        # hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
        map hidden = Yes
        map system = Yes
        map archive = Yes

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes
        create mask = 0611
        directory mask = 0700
        map hidden = Yes
        map system = Yes
        map archive = Yes

If you have any thoughts or ideas I am eager to hear them, even pointing me
into a direction of what else to look for is good enough for me.

Thank you,
Travis