[Samba] NT4 domain authentication password expires, but is set not to

Sunny sloncho at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:05:27 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have OpenSuse 10.2 authenticating against NT 4 domain.

OS: OpenSuse 10.2 i386
samba-3.0.23d-19.7
samba-winbind-3.0.23d-19.7
samba-client-3.0.23d-19.7
kernel: 2.6.18.8-0.5-default #1 SMP

Everything was fine, until 2 days ago, when it started showing that my
password will
expire in 3 days. The problem is, that for sure on the domain
controller this account is set with no password expiration. There is
no such a warning when I log in to a windows machine connected to that
domain controller.

In the past I had this happen, and then I let the this time to expire,
and it locked me out of the machine - i.e. it reported that the
password has expied, and would not let me log in.

At the same time, I was able to log in on a windows (2000 and XP)
workstation, using the same account.

After an advice on IRC, I just went to the DC, and changed the
password there (i.e. I put the same password again). And it let me log
in again on the opensuse machine.

Now it happens again, and I would like find a more permanent solution
to this problem, or if it is considered a bug, to help and provide
whatever log files are needed.

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.