[Samba] Default User not used correctly?

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 13:56:21 GMT 2007

I have a very bizarre issue with Default User.  I am running the latest version of Samba.  I have created the netlogon share, and have added a Default User profile to it.  I have Windows Server 2003 member server that is part of the domain.  The exact same Default User profile is also located in Documents and Settings on this 2003 server.  However, when users log on for the first time,  sometimes they get the Default User settings, and sometimes they do not.

I can manually go to the profiles directory on the samba server, delete the stored profile there, then delete the local copy on the 2003 server, and login again with the same account and it is 50/50 if the Default User profile is used.

As an additional confusion, any changes made to the user's profile also may or may not be present at the next logon.

I have no idea why.  Using a Windows 2000 server, this worked well, with Windows 2003, it doesn't

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Del 19713