[Samba] Samba 3.0.26a Available for Download

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Tue Sep 11 15:44:05 GMT 2007

At 08:04 AM Tuesday, 9/11/2007, Ray Anderson wrote -=>

>Ed Kasky wrote:
>>At 05:24 AM Tuesday, 9/11/2007, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote -=>
>>
>>>Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis at
>>>
>>>http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/
>>
>>Not being as adept at building rpm's as I could be if I had the
>>time to learn it, is there any supporting documentation anywhere
>>that describes how to go about converting from an rpm install to
>>installing from src?
>>
>>Or is it easier/preferred/better to stick with the rpm's and build
>>them from the src?
>>
>>I know there are opinions on both sides but I wouldn't mind hearing
>>a few as I try and decide if I should continue with the rpm on a
>>FC6 machine or convert to a src install....
>I've had experience from both sides -- I started from src and
>migrated to rpm's, now I'm migrating back to src. Especially with a
>fast moving OS like Fedora, where FC4/5 is no longer supported. It
>only makes sense for me and my customers to have me be able to
>download the src and compile. That way the applications on the
>systems can be kept up to date regardless of the distro.
>
>For what it's worth, I have been eyeballing Ubuntu LTS for the 5
>year commitment to support, but I'm so used to Fedora that switching
>distro's is hard. :)

I feel the same way about distros.  I have been with one flavor or
another of RH since before RHEL and Fedora.

In your migration back to src, any special considerations?  Or will
you just remove the rpm and install from the src?  Any considerations
for the smb.conf?  I can't think of any off hand myself, but thought
I'd put it out on the list just in case...

Ed

Randomly Generated Quote (460 of 1270):
By doing just a little every day, I can gradually
let the task completely overwhelm me.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant