[Samba] Disconnected homes share not really disconnected

James Kosin jkosin at intcomgrp.com
Tue Sep 11 12:35:25 GMT 2007

Ryan Harvey wrote:
> I have mounted a [homes] share on a Samba 3.0.22 server from
> my XP Pro PC.  On my Samba server, I have set deadtime to 1
> minute.  After connecting, I execute a net use command and
> see that the status of the share is OK.  After a minute or
> so with no activity, I see that the status changes to
> Disconnected.  At this point, I thought that when I
> re-accessed the share, I would be prompted again for a
> username/password.  Unfortunately, I am going directly into
> the share I had previously opened with no prompting for the
> username/password.
>
> I am using these shares in a lab environment where I would
> like the share to close and the next person be prompted for
> a username/password after 1 minute of inactivity.  Is this
> possible?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ryan Harvey
> Muskingum College

What you want is for Windows to forget the password.  What is happening
is Windows by default in 99.99% of cases remembers the last user name
and password for each share; so, you won't have to keep typing the
password on your personal computer every 60-seconds.  That would be very
frustrating and counter productive.

1-minute of inactivity is a very short time!  Are you sure you want this?

It took me more than 1-minute just to produce this response and send it.

-James
--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net