[Samba] PDC (can't fetch domain SID)

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Tue Sep 11 00:39:46 GMT 2007

Leandro Tracchia escreveu:
> After running this command... I figured out what the problem was. The daemon
> was not reading the correct smb.conf file. I thought the file was being read
> form /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf, but apparently it was being read from
> /etc/samba/smb.conf. Is this OK? Which is the correct location, if any?
> Thanks for everyone's help.
(...)

Different distros can use different build options, what is "better" or
"right" is a question of taste/convention. Debian puts configuration
files in /etc as all packages must comply with the Debian Policy [1]
(see section 10.7.2). It has its own conventions and has its own reasons
to do that, tracking configuration files and preserving its contents
even if you upgrade the package.

You can see in Debian where a specific file is (or will be placed) and
in which package, using apt-file. Or list the contents of a package with
"dpkg -L packagename"

As in any distro, you can see how your samba was built running "smbd
-b", it will show you build options and paths being used.

1. http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto