[Samba] Setting up Print$ share

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Sep 7 21:18:37 GMT 2007

The environment is FC5, Samba V3.0.24-4. I'm trying to set up the print$
share.

 From an XP SP2 client I navigate to the "Printers and Faxes" folder
showing from the Samba server. Following the directions from the howto,
I right click on one of the printers etc etc.

The driver does upload to the share, I can see it there on the server,
but when the APW wizard closes and returns to the printer properties
box, clicking OK at that point gives the error "Printer settings could
not be saved. Access is denied". I guess that's when the .tdb databases
are updated via rpc to finish the installation.

I'm logged in as root on a PC that is a domain member. Root is a member
of a group that is mapped to domain admins. In other respects the
account behaves as administrator.

Is there some obvious config setting that I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Ken

believed to be clean.