[Samba] Authenticating to AD server fails.

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Fri Sep 7 16:36:50 GMT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 07:28:04AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Ray,
>
> >   Get_Pwnam_internals didn't find user [AVWORLD\ray5147]!
>
> Figure out why 'getent passwd "AVWORLD\ray5147"' fails.  Make sure
> the libnww_winbind library is installed and /etc/nsswitch.conf is
> configured to use winbind.  Also look at the winbind log files for
> hints.

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

Maybe I have a fundamental misunderstanding of something...

Is it possible to use ADS authentication for Samba share access
_without_ having to configure the system to also use ADS authentication
(via nsswitch, etc) as well?

In other words, I want Fedora server A to use just its local files for
system authentication (no winbind in nsswitch), but any Samba shares
exported by server A should authenticate its users against ADS.

Possible?  Should I be using security = domain instead?

Ray