[Samba] Samba ADS join dropping after reboot?

Joel cincodenada+samba at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:31:20 GMT 2007

Hi all, I've been searching around and asking in IRC to no avail to
solve this problem, and I don't know how to go about fixing it.  I
recently finally got my Ubuntu 7.04 computer joined to a Windows 2k3
server via samba/winbind/kerberos, mainly with the assistance of
SADMS.  I've also got PAM set up to authenticate users.  It works
great - I can issue a net ads join -U:Adminstrator and it'll go
through successfully, and afterwards I can log out, or issue a login
prompt, and login as an ADS domain user.
That part all works just fine, and things are great when I'm joined to
the domain.  But if I reboot, my machine drops the domain membership,
and so I can't login as a domain user with PAM (presumably because I'm
not joined to the domain).  If I log in as a local user and re-join
the domain, things work just fine.

What do I need to do to get my machine to either stay joined to the
domain, or at least join on start up?  Is there anything I'm missing?