[Samba] Re: forcing XP clients to use CIFS

Jason Cox jason.cox at multiskilled.com.au
Wed Sep 5 00:34:40 GMT 2007

Jax,
	I had the same problem but its not a samba issue. The problem is in
the old tcp/ip setting in windows. Back in the beging windows had a small
tcp window size and it never changed. By adding the following to the
registry you can increase it to something more apropriate for 100M nic's

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"GlobalMaxTcpWindowsSize"=dword:00020148
"TcpWindowsSize"=dword:00020148
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000003

This help me no end with my backups. Increased network thru put by a factor
of 30.
So give it ago and let me know.

http://rdweb.cns.vt.edu/public/notes/win2k-tcpip.htm will explain it a bit
more.

 Regards

Jason Cox

Site Reliability Engineer
Multiskilled Resources Australia Pty Ltd
ph        02 4908 0000 (office)
ph        02 4908 0015 (direct)
mob       0423 600 156
fx        02 4942 4125