[Samba] Question on Mac OsX Samba and address change

Duane Kaufman duaneklean at tds.net
Wed Oct 31 13:36:55 GMT 2007

Hello,

I am new to this list, so forgive me if this question has been asked before, or if there is a better place to ask my question.

I am trying to share a directory on my wife's iMac through Samba (to both Linux and Windows boxes). I followed a number of the tutorials on-line, and initially, things were set up and worked well.

Then it stopped working. The Linux box couldn't connect.

Upon investigating, I found that on the iMac, when one enables 'Windows Sharing', it has a little note at the bottom of the window stating, in effect 'To access files on this computer, use this address: //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/username', and the ip address indicated had changed from when I first set it up. Also, when I dial-up and make a connection, the address changes once again.

So my question is: how do I configure my Linux box samba client to deal with the fact that the ip address is changing, (or) how do I keep the iMac from changing its address?

Thanks in advance,
Duane