[Samba] long delay when connecting to samba server

Dave Viner daveviner at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 18:18:37 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am experiencing a long delay when connecting from a windows machine
to my samba server.  All the details of my setup are below.  Here are
the characteristics of the problem:

client (windows xp desktop) browses to domain in Network Places.
samba server appears as expected.
double-clicking on the samba server causes a delay of approximately
one minute before share drives are listed.
Once the shares are listed, browsing is very fast.

I am VERY confused by this behavior.  I need to resolve it quickly.
My users are revolting!

What might cause such a huge delay in accessing Samba?

My env uses an Active Directory server for authentication, and so I
am running smbd, nmbd, and winbindd.  I have cranked up the log level
to see a lot of action in the log files.  I attempted a connection on
2007/10/30 at 10:32:07.  At 10:33:22, the share drives were listed in
my windows desktop.  Delays of 1 minute (at a minimum) are common and
reproduceable.

My client IP address is 10.1.1.233.  The server IP address is
10.1.1.14.  The domain name is 60framescorp.  My username is dviner.

Here's what I see in the relevant logs:

[captured on public doc because it's quite long]
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddpkhpb5_49c4rkfs

==========================
ENVIRONMENT:
Samba server
	- version 3.0.26a
	- running CentOS 5.0
Samba configuration (smb.conf) global section:
    workgroup = 60framescorp
    server string = Shared Drives (Samba Server %v)
    security = domain

     # required for AD domain
    encrypt passwords = yes
    allow trusted domains = no
    idmap uid = 200000 - 300000
    idmap gid = 200000 - 300000
    winbind nested groups = yes

     # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
     # that connects (%m = user, %S = share)

    #log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%S
    log level = 4 auth:10 winbind:3

     # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 1000

    local master = no
    dns proxy = no