[Samba] trouble with samba/winbind

Guillermo Gutierrez ggutierrez at marketscan.com
Tue Oct 30 17:59:03 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have installed samba 3.2.0-pre1 on a Debian Lenny system and joined it
to a windows 2003 AD domain. Wbinfo -u -g and -t all show good results
(returns users and groups, rpc call successful). The "net ads" commands
return good results as well (net ads info, net ads status, net ads
lookup).

My problem is that even though I have added the groupmap commands for
Domain Admins, Domain Users, and Domain Guests, "getent passwd" and
"getent group" won't show the active directory users and groups.

Also "net groupmap list" doesn't show the "BUILTIN\Administrator" and
"BUILTIN\Users" either.

Below is my smb.conf as seen from testparm:

[global]
        workgroup = MARKETSCAN
        realm = MARKETSCAN.COM
        server string = %h Samba Server, %v
        interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = ADS
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template homedir = /home/MARKETSCAN/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        invalid users = root

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/MARKETSCAN/%U
        valid users = %D/%U
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        inherit permissions = Yes
        browseable = No
        vfs objects = readahead

[public]
        comment = Public Share on %h
        path = /home/samba/public
        read only = No
        create mask = 0775
        directory mask = 0775
        inherit permissions = Yes
        vfs objects = readahead

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers

I have had this problem before and could not resolve it, this only
happens to me with Debian. It works on Gentoo, Ubuntu and FreeBSD.

Please let me know what other info is necessary.

Guillermo Gutierrez
Network Administrator
Market Scan Information Systems Inc.
(818) 575-2017