[Samba] Re: Ubuntu 7.10 64 Bit Server Can't Write to Shares [SOLVED]

chris lostpkts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:36:15 GMT 2007

On Oct 27, 2007 8:21 PM, chris <lostpkts at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on bringing up a new server and decided to give Ubuntu
> 7.10 64 bit a try.  I installed it to a vmware instance along with
> Samba to test it out before hand while waiting for all the hardware to
> show up.
>
> I made my smb.conf file similar to what I have on my Gentoo server
> that is working fine.  My goal is to have read only shares for most
> users but with ability to write by admins.
>
> This is what I have for my gentoo machine (working). (Just showing the
> shares portion.)
>
> [files]
>         comment = Misc Files and Programs
>         path = /shares/files
>         valid users = @users
>         admin users = @admin
>         write list = @admin
>
> With Ubuntu the above doesn't work at all.  Clients can't connect.
> Users are added into smbpasswd and are in the 'users' group.  Admins
> are in admin.
>
> I followed an Ubuntu wiki on Samba and came up with this.
>
> [files]
>         comment = Misc Files and Programs
>         path = /shares/files
>         read only = yes
>         create mask = 644
>         directory mask = 755
>         force user = nobody
>         force group = nogroup
>         #valid users = @users
>         #admin users = @admin
>         #write list = @admin
>
> My clients can connect but I had to comment out the lines above to get
> it to work.
>
> So I tried this.
>
> [files]
>         comment = Misc Files and Programs
>         path = /shares/files
>         create mask = 644
>         directory mask = 755
>         write list = user1
>
> Again, able to connect, but no joy on writes for user1
>

> I'm not really sure on next steps.  And confused as those options work
> fine on my Gentoo install but can't get them working at all on Ubuntu.
>
> Can someone please point me in the write direction?
>
> Thank you

I uninstalled Samba and then reinstalled it and it started to use the
options below (admin users, write list, etc).  Everything is working
now.

When I installed Samba originally I selected it as a package during
the initial install of the server.  I guess there is a slight problem
that way.

Thanks again.