[Samba] Can't see or change ACLs on Windows

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Tue Oct 30 14:59:41 GMT 2007

Okay, here's what I've figured out from trying to do what you suggested:

On CentOS, Administrator appears to be non-magical.  If the shared
directory of is owned by root, with permissions 770, Administrator can't
even map the share and gets an access denied error.  If I add
DOMAIN+administrator to the admin users list for the share in the
smb.conf file, I can then map the drive AND change ownership on the
files in the directory, even if I don't own them initially.  I can't,
however (even once DOMAIN+administrator owns the file) add an entry to
the acl using the windows properties screen.  I can't add either a user
or a group to the ACL.  I can modify the unix ugw permissions, for
example, removing write access to the group of the file.

On Solaris, I'm seeing the same thing when I have it configured the same
as CentOS.

It's like samba, for some reason, doesn't know it's ass from it's elbow
about ACLs on either Solaris or Linux.  Both appear to think they know:

(Solaris)

bash-3.00# /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -b | grep ACL
   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_SOLARIS_ACLS
   HAVE__ACL
   HAVE__FACL
bash-3.00#

(CentOS)

[root at localhost stastest]# /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -b | grep ACL
   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_POSIX_ACLS
[root at localhost stastest]#

As near as I've been able to google up, configuring and compiling with
--with-acl-support is the only thing you need to do to get samba to
support them, apart from having a kernel/fs that support ACLs, which
I've tested on both sides using regular unix tools.

~Eric