[Samba] Can't see or change ACLs on Windows

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Mon Oct 29 19:25:58 GMT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Stas [mailto:narezatel at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 1:37 PM
To: Eric Diven
Subject: Re: [Samba] Can't see or change ACLs on Windows

well , lets's  try again ..
create test directory " /samba/testdir
run # chmod 777 -R /samba/testdir
create share in smb.conf that points to /samba/test create some file in
new share from windows box.
open file properties and check permissions and owner ( you should see
"everyone - full control , CREATOR OWNER - full control  , etc , and
owner of created file should be user that logged in ) now try to set
permissions , it should work .
if you want to restrict users -  remove "everyone" from ACL list , this
will just reset "Everyone" permission to "none" , so no one will able to
modify files until you add specific users or groups to ACL list .
looking strange but it worked for me..

Still no luck.

Our new directory:
drwxrwxrwx   2 W2K3TEST+bobadmin W2K3TEST+awriters     512 Oct 29 13:41
stastest

[stastest]
   path = /foo/stastest
   writeable = yes
   inherit owner = yes
   inherit permissions = yes
   inherit acls = yes
   nt acl support = yes

I've tried this with various inherit options on and off (including the
dir sticky bit for inheriting group ownership)  and still can't get it
to go.  I've also tried with varying ownerships on the directory with no
change.  Also, when I try to remove Everyone (or for that matter, the
unix group or owner) from the ACL, it pops right back up.  Everyone
doesn't have Full Control set either.  Nor for that matter does the
group that owns the file.  Both Everyone and the group get rw
permissions.

~Eric

~Eric