[Samba] Joining a Linux Machine to a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain

C.Peterman c.peterman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:30:12 GMT 2007

Ah sorry, here is my smb.conf

<< Begin smb.conf >>

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: MIDEARTH
   workgroup = AD

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = 0-1-3-1d-38-f2.noc.clarkson.edu

# Security mode. Defines in which mode Samba will operate. Possible
# values are share, user, server, domain and ads. Most people will want
# user level security. See the Samba-HOWTO-Collection for details.
   security = ADS

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   load printers = yes

# This option tells cups that the data has already been rasterized
cups options = raw

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Use the realm option only with security = ads
# Specifies the Active Directory realm the host is part of
   realm = AD.CLARKSON.EDU

# Backend to store user information in. New installations should
# use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
# compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.
;   passdb backend = tdbsam

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = no

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The default is NO.
   dns proxy = no

# These scripts are used on a domain controller or stand-alone
# machine to add or delete corresponding unix accounts
;  add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
;  add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
;  add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %u
;  delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
;  delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
;  delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g

encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 3
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
printcap name = cups
printing = cups
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = Yes
winbind nested groups = Yes
winbind separator = +
idmap uid = 600-20000
idmap gid = 600-20000
template shell = /bin/bash

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   read only = No
   valid users = %S

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

<< End smb.conf >>

> I was getting that message when the name of my computer didn't match that of
> what I set in my SMB.conf for "server string" parameter. Not knowing any
> details of your smb.conf and your system, that is my shot in the dark
> gotcha.

>>*
*>*> Hey all, I'm trying to join a Linux machine running CentOS 5, Samba
*>*> version
*>*> 3.0.23 to a Windows 2003 Active Directory. I can authenticate successfully
*>*> against Kerberos, but I cannot seem to join the domain. I'm using
*>*> instructions from this article
*>*> http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3487081<
<http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3487081%3C>
*>*> https://mymail.clarkson.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3487081
*>*>
*>*> but when I get to the join command I get this
*>>*
*>*> [root at 0-1-3-1d-38-f2
<https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba> ~]# net ads join -U
adjoin
*>*> adjoin's password:
*>*> Failed to set password for machine account (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
*>*> Failed to join domain!
*>>*
*>*> Any help would be most welcome!
*>>*
*>*> ~ Chris "Kyral" Peterman
*>*> Communications & Media Undergraduate
*>*> Clarkson University Class of 2008*