[Samba] Performance Issue on Samba 3.023d with many small files

Mark Adams mark at campbell-lange.net
Mon Oct 29 15:51:40 GMT 2007

Hi Jens,

I have also had an issue with slowness in lots of small files. I'm using
a 2.6.22 kernel with the most recent debian testing samba 3.0.26. I have
been backing up a store of Maildir files that is around 120GB (approx
600,000+ files) and it takes around 24 hrs for this to complete. This is
on cat5e cabling with Gigabit LAN such as yours. If I rsync this data it
takes just under 2 hrs.

I posted to this list a while ago and had no response, and have not
corrected the issue, so unfortunatly can not help.

If you do get anywhere please let me know.

Are there any senior samba guys or people that have fixed this issue
that could comment?

Mark