[Samba] Can't see or change ACLs on Windows

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Mon Oct 29 15:46:21 GMT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Stas [mailto:narezatel at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 6:56 PM
To: Eric Diven
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Can't see or change ACLs on Windows

any errors in samba's log?
what error exactly you get at windows box when you try to set
permissions?

Annoyingly, I'm not getting any logging for clients.  Why, I don't know.
I see start-up messages correctly in the log.smbd file, including those
at log level 10, but not ones from clients.

Here are the logging-related lines from smbd.conf

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

The exact text of the error I get in Windows is:

"Unable to save permission changes on hjkl.txt.

Access is denied
           [OK]"

As usual, I'm logged in as the owner of the file.

Sigh.

Thanks for your continuing help on this, by the way.  This is driving me
nuts.

~Eric