[Samba] Samba can't find its hostname via broadcast

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 26 15:24:49 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 23:16 -0700, Atrox wrote:

> Michael Lueck wrote:

> >> Well, server doesn't answer to nmblookup by broadcast:
> >> $ nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 frontier
> >> querying frontier on 192.168.1.255
> >> name_query failed to find name frontier
> >>
> >> If I query Samba via unicast, it answers OK:
> >> $ nmblookup -U frontier frontier
> >> querying frontier on 192.168.1.31
> >> 192.168.1.31 frontier<00>
> >>
> >> For lo0 interface I get the error: Packet send failed to
> >> 127.255.255.255(137) ERRNO=Operation not permitted
> >>
> >> Should it be that way?
> >
> > What are you actually trying to do? I know nmblookup by name, but never
> > have to use it.
> >

> The error "Operation not permitted" occures when I nmblookup without any
> flag, ie. "nmblookup frontier". Nmblookup queries lo0 as I have specified it
> in "interfaces" parameter.

	So, what happens if you DON'T specify lo in your interfaces?  It should
still work using your real interfaces.  I don't really see what you are
gaining by allowing the lo interface to begin with.

> $ nmblookup frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.255
> querying frontier on 127.255.255.255
> Packet send failed to 127.255.255.255(137) ERRNO=Operation not permitted
> name_query failed to find name frontier
>

> > <><><><><><>
> >
> > About logs, what is your smb.conf logging configuration? Ours is:
> >
> > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >

> Yep, I have the same.
>

> > which generates a separate log for each machine. First by IP address
> > (log.IPADDR) until the computer name of the host is learned. Then it
> > starts writing to log.machinename from then on.
> >
> > So I was asking do you get errors in the Samba logs that you are trying to
> > understand?
> >
> Yes, I understood. But I don't see anything unusual nor any errors there (in
> log.smbd, log.nmbd, log.frontier, log.192.168.1.31) when I do nmblookup..
> --

	Mike