[Samba] Re: Samba can't find its hostname via broadcast

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Oct 22 19:34:05 GMT 2007

Atrox wrote:
> Michael Lueck wrote:
>> So, how do you know Samba can not find itself?
>
> Well, server doesn't answer to nmblookup by broadcast:
> $ nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.255
> name_query failed to find name frontier
>
> If I query Samba via unicast, it answers OK:
> $ nmblookup -U frontier frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.31
> 192.168.1.31 frontier<00>
>
> For lo0 interface I get the error: Packet send failed to
> 127.255.255.255(137) ERRNO=Operation not permitted
>
> Should it be that way?

What are you actually trying to do? I know nmblookup by name, but never have to use it.

About logs, what is your smb.conf logging configuration? Ours is:

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

which generates a separate log for each machine. First by IP address (log.IPADDR) until the computer name of the host is learned. Then it starts writing to log.machinename from then on.

So I was asking do you get errors in the Samba logs that you are trying to understand?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems