[Samba] Samba "hijack" the connection?

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Oct 22 07:18:10 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:19 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007 08:31:46 Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I have 2 domains: JUPITER.COM (Samba 3.0.23c - Centos5) and WIN.COM
> > (Windows 2000 Adv Srv). I join a windows XP SP1 (MOON), first to Windows
> > domain and then to Samba's.
> >
> > The problem is when I join the XP to Samba's and then try to logon to
> > WIN.COM, the XP is instead logon to Samba, thus the username is not found.
> > The DNS is not a problem, I set the DNS of the XP to Windows' DNS.
>
> > Why does Samba still handle the logon request?
> > One more info, if I then join the XP back to Windows' and then try to logon
> > both to Samba and Windows, the logon process is OK.
> >
> > Any insight and comments are very welcome.
>
> From google I found this:
> http://www.5starsupport.com/xp-faq/1-102.htm
>
> Problem:
>
> In Windows XP Pro, is it possible to have multiple domains to login to?
> Currently, I only have a single domain option. I would like be able to choose
> from a list of domains when I login.
>
> Answer:
>
> In one word, no. A computer can only be part of a single domain. However,
> multiple users from other trusted domains may have permissions to access
> certain domains while still being logged in to their own domain. This is all
> part of an Active Directory process.
>
> Is that true?

The correct answer is:

No, a windows machine can be part of only one domain, to be able to
login using credentials from multiple domains, the domain the machine is
joined to need to trust the other domains. This is not limited to AD,
domain trusts exist since windows NT domains.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>