[Samba] Re: folder contents on Win2k SP4 clients become outdated

Brolin Empey brolin.empey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 06:24:57 GMT 2007

Michael Lueck <mlueck <at> lueckdatasystems.com> writes:
> We use Win2K SP4 heavilly... I thought that sort of behavior (having to press
F5) was standard practice. So,
> same for us.

I think the file server is supposed to send File Change Notifications to its
clients to inform the clients of changes to directories in use by the clients.
For example, see this article in Microsoft's Support Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928571/en-us

This led me to believe that our Samba has a configuration issue.  Furthermore, a
user who asked me to fix this problem thinks Samba is the cause of the problem,
because she has never had this problem at previous companies she has worked for.
 She is sure that these previous companies did not use Linux (and therefore
Samba) for their file servers.  However, the file server's SMB server and
underlying OS are normally transparent to a Windows client user, so it is
questionable whether she would know if she was using a Samba and/or Linux file
server.

> We have never had Windows Explorer show duplicate data.

The duplicate folders problem is definitely real.  I do not know whether it is
caused by the client or server, though.

> Debian Sarge here.
> 2.6.12-1-k7 #1 Tue Sep 27 13:22:07 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
> Currently running Samba 3.0.26a-1 from Samba.org

Interesting: your kernel is older, but Samba is newer.

This suggests that the problems are caused by a configuration issue, rather than
by kernel or Samba versions.

Does anyone else have the same problems as Michael and I?

Thanks,
Brolin