[Samba] Re: Samba can't find its hostname via broadcast

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Oct 18 16:31:00 GMT 2007

Atrox wrote:
> Hmm, actually the machine runs OpenVPN too, so its (bridged) tap device has
> its own IP that falls into the same netmask /24. Is it possible that Samba
> may get confused about that? Should specifying only the internal interface
> (and lo0 maybe) in "interfaces" help in this case?

I have no experience running OpenVPN on a Samba server box. We have separate firewall boxes and run OpenVPN on those boxes.

> PS. I can't try deleting the wins cache right now as Samba is in active use.

I suppose you could take a peek inside that file (cat wins.dat) and see if you see multiple IP addresses around the information for your server.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems