[Samba] strangest thing with Raid1 and samba

scartomail scartomail at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 19:40:29 GMT 2007

Fixed it!!
  With debian/etch/stabel it works like it is supposed to.
  Raid1 and a seperate /home partition.

  Swat was so unstable on lenny that I could not even use it
  And it seems the samba was not working like it should be in combination with raid.

  Thanks Allen for you're intrest.

  Rgds Edo

scartomail <scartomail at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Okee, sorry that was a BIG typo.
I meant sharing ofcourse(thus the same problem), my mistake

Meanwhile I have setup the server again.
This time instead of using debian/lenny I used debian/etch.
And for ruling out the hardware problem to I used just one disk with a seperat /home partition and no raid.

This worked fine!
No I am again setting up the server with debian/etch WITH raid configuration.
This is ofcourse all software raid.

I am hoping it was the debian/lenny part that is giving me the problem.
They don't call it "testing" for no reason.

Rgds Edo

Alan Hodgson wrote:
On Wednesday 17 October 2007, scartomail wrote:
> Thanks Alan,
>
> You say it should work.
> At least that's good to know.
>
> In my FSTAB file there is a line like this.
> /dev/md1 /home ext3 defaults,acl 0 2
>
> At first it was a different directory because I also use this server
> for backuppc backups. First it was /var/lib/backuppc and I thought I
> could not write to a share in this directory because it was restricted. I
> was at that time able to create shares in /home.

I thought you said you couldn't share it at all? Not being able to write to
it is just a directory permissions problem.

--
Peak Oil is now accepted as inevitable, and the debate only becomes as
to when - James Schlesinger, former US Secretary of Energy