[Samba] getent passwd not listing domain users, nsswitch.conf is configured

Peter Baumgartner sgt.hulka at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:03:13 GMT 2007

Using Samba 3.0.25c on OpenSolaris nv72.

wbinfo -u lists domain users as expected.
getent passwd only lists local users.
nsswitch.conf has the following lines:
    passwd:     files winbind
    group:      files winbind

My smb.conf is below. Where should I start to troubleshoot?

[global]
 realm = FNB.LOCAL
 workgroup = FNB
 security = ADS
 use kerberos keytab = true
; password server = my-server.fnb.local
 encrypt passwords = yes
 server string = Samba ADS
 client use spnego = yes

# winbind configuration:
 winbind use default domain = yes
 winbind nested groups = yes
 idmap backend = ad
 winbind nss info = rfc2307
 winbind separator = /
 winbind enum users = yes
 winbind enum groups = yes
# idmap uid = 10000-20000
# idmap gid = 10000-20000
 ; template homedir = /samba/pchome/%D/%U

#  idmap domains = FNB
#  idmap config FNB:default = yes
#  idmap config FNB:backend = tdb
#  idmap config FNB:range = 10000-20000
# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
   log level = 10
# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 1024

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See the chapter 'Samba performance issues' in the Samba HOWTO Collection
# and the manual pages for details.
;   socket options = TCP_NODELAY