[Samba] Samba can't find its hostname via broadcast

Atrox silver.salonen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:05:49 GMT 2007

Atrox wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using Samba 3.0.25a on FreeBSD-6.0. Samba is configured to be a PDC.
>
> Samba can't find its hostname via nmblookup:
> $ nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.255
> name_query failed to find name frontier
>
> If I query Samba via unicast, it answers OK:
> $ nmblookup -U frontier frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.31
> 192.168.1.31 frontier<00>
>
> Also, Samba cannot find domain's master, but I suspect it can't become the
> master because of this nmblookup failure. I've experienced the similar
> issue with other Samba-3.0.26a too. I've gone through Samba
> troubleshooting, but I didn't find anything. What could cause this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Silver

Nothing on this? While googling I've seen questions about this issue asked
several years ago, but not lately. And I haven't found any exhaustive answer
to this :(

More about the issue - if I nmblookup domain, I get quite a lot of answers,
but not from the server itself (192.168.1.31):
$ nmblookup mydomain
querying mydomain on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.200 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.145 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.147 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.131 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.130 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.138 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.140 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.149 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.143 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.139 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.141 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.110 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.100 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.118 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.111 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.106 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.108 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.126 mydomain<00>
192.168.1.105 mydomain<00>

The firewall is not the issue as I see from tcpdump that broadcast queries
to port 137 reach the server.

--
Silver