[Samba] How to make "Add permission" for folder in system with ntacl support?

Necos Secon secon_kun at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 16 05:55:08 GMT 2007

Yes, it is possible to do this in Samba with Linux ACL support.

You have to look at setfacl. There are two types of permissions that you can set using setfacl. The first are permissions on the directory or file itself. For example, this sets the group ntadmins to read/write/execute on the directory /home/ntadmins:

setfacl -m g:"ntadmins":rwx -R /home/ntadmins

Now, the second type of permissions apply to any file (or directory) that is created in /home/ntadmins:

setfacl -m d:g:"ntusers":--- -R /home/ntadmins

The effect of the second setfacl command says that the group ntusers will be explicitly given no access to any file or directory created in /home/ntadmins.

So, if you're trying to create a dropbox for a group staff, it would look something like this:

setfacl -m g:"staff":rwx -R /home/dropbox
setfacl -m d:g:"staff":--- -R /home/dropbox

What this does is allow them to add files to the directory, but immediately strip their permissions once the file is uploaded. Try this out. I hope it does what you want.