[Samba] Profile Location Best Practice

Mon Oct 15 20:06:56 GMT 2007

> Eric Feldhusen, you've pretty much convinced me that best practice is
> having profiles stored in one place, and home folders in another.
> But I'm still curious if you have also experienced these problems
> even with such a configuration.  Either way, I think the merits of
> such a configuration are clear; I just wonder if I can expect even
> these problems to go away, or if I shouldn't get my hopes up quite
> that much.

Well... I created a new directory structure:

home directory = \server\home\username (unchanged)
profile directory = \server\home\profiles\username (new)

I've already switched one user over who was having a weird problem with
a printer not appearing on the receptionist computer (she covers for the
receptionist when she goes to lunch, etc). That problem is now resolved,
while nothing else I tried worked.

So, I'm hopeful that this will indeed fix these other mysterious
problems. After some reading on  this, I'm embarrassed that I never
encountered this 'best practice' knowledge before...

Many thanks to Eric for the whack upside the head...

--

Best regards,

Charles