[Samba] using cifs to access posix acl from a linux client

Robert de Geus robert at toltech.nl
Sat Oct 13 13:02:14 GMT 2007

Hi,
We would like to mount a Linux server running samba using a cifs mount
from a linux client (linux->linux) and still be able to access the
extended attributes.

Acl's work on the native filesystem, however when we mount the samba
server on the Linux client using
mount -t cifs //localhost/test test -o username=xxx

Then the extended attributes are no longer visible, only the default
posix rights. Any idea's?

native:
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 iris iris 60 2007-10-13 13:06 /media/sdb1/test/c

cifs share:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 iris   iris   60 2007-10-13 13:06 c

The "+" is missing, hence extended attributes are neglected.

Server and client Ubuntu Gutsy 3.0.26,
in de smb.cfg we enabled everything we could find relating to acl's:
unix extensions = yes
ea support = yes
nt acl support = yes
map acl inherit = yes