[Samba] Profile Location Best Practice

Eric J. Feldhusen efeldhusen.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:17:41 GMT 2007

Server Gremlin wrote:
> it seems like the convention has shifted to that of storing profiles
> in one place (/sambaprofiles/john/profile) while storing home
> directories in another (/sambahomes/john).
>
> What is the advantage of this setup, if any?

The key advantage is that if the profile is stored within the user's
home directory, the Windows workstations will sometimes discconnect the
user's home directory network drive mapping during logout before the
profile has finished synchronizing between the workstation and the
server, and your users may have broken profile problems.

I have multiple samba servers running at several sites, some with
profiles in the home directory and some with the profiles stored under a
separate profile share.  From experience, the samba servers with a
separate profile share have much less problems with profiles breaking.

Unfortunately, I've seen several distros ship their samba smb.conf with
the users' profiles in the users' home directory, which is where my
coworker and I have argued endlessly about.

--
Eric Feldhusen
Network Administrator    http://www.remc1.org
eric at remc1.org
PO Box 270              (906) 482-4520  x239
809 Hecla St            (906) 482-5031 fax
Hancock, MI  49930      (906) 370 6202 mobile