[Samba] Samba client -> PDC authentication fails on last step

Mark Keenan mfkeenan at ireland.com
Fri Oct 12 01:36:11 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I am having a rather unusual problem. I have a PC running Samba as a PDC for
my network. Right now, all of my XP client PC's can login just fine and
there are no problems at all.

However, recently I purchased a third-party (well known) NAS box that claims
to be able to use NT (I am using NT)/ADS domain users/groups for granting
access to shares on the NAS.

When I join the NAS to the domain, it tells me the operation has been
successful. However, when any of the clients try to access the NAS shares,
they get the message "There are currently no logon servers available to
service the logon request".

When I look in the smb.conf log file on the PDC, I notice that the following
error message is shown when the NAS attempts to join the domain:

[2007/10/10 21:14:16, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_auth_2(478)
  _net_auth2: creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
NAS machine account NAS$

Note: that the NAS reports that it successfully joined the domain, but the
above message seems to indicate a problem? If I put in junk information in
the NAS registration fields, it does bomb out as you would expect. So, it
would seem like its accepting most of the registration and rejecting
something just at the end that the NAS is not error checking on?!?!?

The samba version running on the PDC is 3.0.23c-4.

The samba version running on the NAS is 3.0.22

I have opened a support ticket with the manafacturer, but am fully expecting
them to tell me they dont support samba as a PDC and I must use a real
windows one!

I would be very grateful for anyones suggestions or thoughts on other things
I might try to resolve this.

Thanks!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:11