[Samba] Samba/ADS Question

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Oct 11 19:14:41 GMT 2007

On 10/11/07, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> Are you using pam_winbindd to log in?

I think so... (I'm very new to samba and have been following docs and
tutorials...)

Here is the output of a grep through the pam.d files:

[root at joneslibrary-f7 cnighswonger]# grep -E pam_winbind.so /etc/pam.d/*
/etc/pam.d/system-auth:auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
/etc/pam.d/system-auth:account     [default=bad success=ok
user_unknown=ignore] pam_winbind.so
/etc/pam.d/system-auth:password    sufficient    pam_winbind.so use_authtok
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac:auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so
use_first_pass
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac:account     [default=bad success=ok
user_unknown=ignore] pam_winbind.so
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac:password    sufficient    pam_winbind.so use_authtok

> If so you can configure /etc/security/pam_winbind.conf to use krb5_auth
> = yes and krb5_ccache_type = FILE, this would store your kerberos
> credentials so that libsmbclient should be able to pick them up when
> browsing servers and use them.

I uncommented these two lines in pam_winbind.conf and then restarted
nmbd, smbd, and winbindd. After loggin back in, I am still prompted
when browsing to windows shares.

Maybe I am not really using pam_winbindd after all?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Chris