[Samba] Old samba client

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Oct 11 13:50:26 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter napsal(a):

> Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to put together an embedded box that will act as a samba
>> client.  All it needs to do is to mount Windows shares read-only.
>>
>> It needs to support WinXP and Vista.
>>
>> I need to be able to log in to the box via ssh, and then use smbclient
>> or something similar to "sniff" the shared drives, and then mount them
>> RO for purposes of remote backup.
>>
>> I am looking at an embedded solution that comes with samba-2.0.10, which
>> is absolutely ancient, but I am hopeful that given the limited access I
>> need it will work.
>>
>> Could someone knowledgeable in ancient samba lore give me an opinion?
>>

> Sure.  That version won't support NTLMv2, SPNEGO/Kerberos, or SMB
> signing.   Also doesn't follow MS-DFS linke and may have more
> problems with Vista hosts.

Thanks.  I've gone ahead and built 3.0.26b for the platform, so
hopefully that will work better.

One more question:

Is there a CLI-based window shares "sniffer" anywhere?

I will be sending this unit out to places where there is no admin.  I
need to be able to compose a list of shares and machines, and then back
up those that the local users want backed up.

I'm looking for something like windows neighborhood in text mode -
something that would list the machines on the local subnet and their
shares. ISTR something like that but I can't even remember where to look.

--Yan

--
  o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass.