[Samba] Sharing a shared folder

Brandon Pedersen bped at byu.edu
Tue Oct 9 18:34:15 GMT 2007

Hey,

So, I have a Linux server that is mounting a CIFS share. The server then
shares that share to everyone else. My question is does having it routed
this way cause a major slow down? Do the files need to be copied to the
mediator server before going out to the device that is requesting the file?
Or is it able to forward the request to the other server to grab the files
directly from there?

I am curious about this because we have a big imaging server with a whole
bunch of images on it and we are setting up this new server and don't want
to move all the images over, thus we just mounted the images directory on
the new server.

What would you do?
Brandon