[Samba] Samba performance tuning

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:14:35 GMT 2007

On 10/9/07, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:
> Andrew Sherlock-CF wrote:
> > I wonder if tshark or netstat could be useful here
> I don't know the tools, which is why I was asking.

I do not think either tool will benchmark samba file serving
performance but the actual goal of what a  samba mark would benchmark
is unclear. I guess one could create a benchmark that could measure
the throughput of a single folder on a single samba share but this may
or may not be a good guide to performance on the samba server. I mean
permissions, number of files in a folder, file sizes, acls, and file
system and storage choices can play a big part in performance and any
or all of these may be different from folder to folder on a samba
share.

John