[Samba] Samba performance tuning

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Oct 8 23:47:01 GMT 2007

Hi all!

I've seen a number of posts regarding Samba performance - either
comments about perceived poor performance, or recommended parameter
changes.  Instead of some arbitrary buffer numbers, or "play with it
until it works", are there any analysis tools that can give quantitative
answers ?  Something where instead of just saying, "Samba is too slow",
I could say, "on a quad-opteron system, with 4G RAM, and full-duplex
100BaseT network, SambaMark reports a score of 237.".

Maybe that's too much of a dream - is there a particular file
size/copy/read technique and associated analysis that I should try?
--
Daniel