[Samba] SWAT smbpasswd authentication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 8 23:05:32 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 18:16 +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 20:44:23 Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> > Stupid question but is it possible to make SWAT use the smbpasswd file
> > to authenticate users instead of the system passwd file?
>
> Hey guys.
>
> I'd just like to know if it's possible, please.

This is not possible, in part due to concerns over the chicken-and-egg
problem of setting up Samba to use smbpasswd while authenticating
against smbpasswd, and mostly because that codepath hasn't been altered
since 2001, when we didn't have 'encrypt passwords = yes' as a default.

PAM and pam_smbpass would be one way around it, on Linux systems.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/