[Samba] Re: Unusable performance over WAN (part 2)

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 20:24:41 GMT 2007

On 10/7/07, James Lamanna <jlamanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/7/07, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:31:23AM -0700, James Lamanna wrote:
> >
> > > Server sends 1500 byte packet
> > > Client sends 52 bye ACK
> > > Server sends 1500 byte packet
> > > Client sends 52 byte ACK
> > > etc..
> > >
> > > Can anyone think of a reason for this?
> >
> > I did not find a link spontaneously, but Windows sometimes
> > falls back to something that we call "rabbit pellet"
> > mode. Maybe google shows up something for you.
> >
> > Volker
> >

> I actually see that behavior using smbclient from a linux machine, so
> its not necessarily Windows related.
>
> -- James

I've put some tcpdump logs from my macbook up at:
http://emagiccards.com/james/tcpdump-vpn-logs.tar.bz2.
It contains 2 files:

vpn-wan.log - Transferring a file from my macbook over the WAN (logged
in through VPN)
vpn-nowan2.log - Transferring a file from my macbook not over the WAN
(logging through VPN)
(I have separate VPN servers on each size of the WAN).

Here are the smbclient outputs:

No WAN:
getting file \Jun07.xls of size 2321920 as Jun07.xls (23.8 kb/s)
(average 23.8 kb/s)

Using WAN:
getting file \Jun07.xls of size 2321920 as Jun07.xls Short read when
getting file \Jun07.xls. Only got 1032192 bytes.
Error Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
closing remote file
(3.9 kb/s) (average 3.9 kb/s)

-- James