[Samba] Moving Samba/LDAP PDC to another server

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 18:50:17 GMT 2007

From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com>
> On 10/7/07, dahopkins at comcast.net <dahopkins at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I need to move our existing Samba/LDAP PDC to another server.  Currently it is
> on server1 and I want server2 to be the Samba/LDAP PDC instead. However, I am
> uncertain of what files need to be copied over to ensure that I don't have to
> rejoin machines to the domain.
>
> All this info (about machine accounts) is stored only in the LDAP database.
>
> If you are using ldap the only files that needs copyied/modifyied is
> smb.conf,  /etc/nsswitch.conf, and your IDEALX config. Other than that
> you will have to enter the LDAP password in the new server using
> smbpasswd -w (i believe).

Thanks, the smbpasswd piece may be what I am missing. I''l try it soon.  Does that do the same thing as copying the  secrets.tbd file?   Last time I tried this, every machine that was part of the domain lost its domain membership.

> You did not mention if you were moving just the samba stuff or the
> LDAP server as well as there is no requirement that the LDAP server is
> on the same machine as the PDC. However, I assume you want to do that
> as well. For that copy the /etc/openldap/schema folder and do a
> slapcat (to a file) to dump the current ldap database. Then on the new
> machine use slapadd with the file you dumped from slapcat.

I am using LDAP for everything, and have a current dump of the ldap database.  Hopefully it is just as simple as you've indicated for moving things over.