[Samba] Re: Unusable performance over WAN (part 2)

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:31:23 GMT 2007

On 10/6/07, James Lamanna <jlamanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Disregard my previous posts, I've consolidated everything here.
> I'm having terrible performance issues with samba over a WAN
> (point-to-point T1 link).
> Doing a copy of a 2MB file from a samba server to a linux client
> running smbclient takes over 5 minutes.
> SCPing the same file takes seconds.
>
> The server is running samba version 3.0.25c with kernel 2.6.16.18.
>
> I've put up a set of debugging logs at:
> http://emagiccards.com/james/sambalogs.tar.bz2
>
> Inside are 3 files:
> smb.conf - the configuration of the samba server
> log.agard - the level 10 debug log of the copy from samba
> samba-tcpdump.log - a tcpdump log from the client side of the copy
>
> Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated since the file
> server is pretty unusuable over the WAN.
> If you need any more information, please let me know. It is imperative
> that I find out what's happening here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- James Lamanna

One of the other things that I've noticed is that the pattern of Data
/ Acks is different based on where I connect from.

If I connect on the server side of the T1 link, the data / ack pattern
seems to be:

Server sends 1500 byte packet
Server sends 1500 byte packet
Server sends 1500 byte packet
etc...(to 64k)
Client sends 52 byte ACK
Client sends 52 byte ACK
Client sends 52 byte ACK
etc...

If I connect from the other side of the T1, the data and acks are interleaved:

Server sends 1500 byte packet
Client sends 52 bye ACK
Server sends 1500 byte packet
Client sends 52 byte ACK