[Samba] Moving Samba/LDAP PDC to another server

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 15:26:56 GMT 2007

On 10/7/07, dahopkins at comcast.net <dahopkins at comcast.net> wrote:
> I need to move our existing Samba/LDAP PDC to another server.  Currently it is on server1 and I want server2 to be the Samba/LDAP PDC instead. However, I am uncertain of what files need to be copied over to ensure that I don't have to rejoin machines to the domain.

All this info (about machine accounts) is stored only in the LDAP database.

If you are using ldap the only files that needs copyied/modifyied is
smb.conf,  /etc/nsswitch.conf, and your IDEALX config. Other than that
you will have to enter the LDAP password in the new server using
smbpasswd -w (i believe).

You did not mention if you were moving just the samba stuff or the
LDAP server as well as there is no requirement that the LDAP server is
on the same machine as the PDC. However, I assume you want to do that
as well. For that copy the /etc/openldap/schema folder and do a
slapcat (to a file) to dump the current ldap database. Then on the new
machine use slapadd with the file you dumped from slapcat.

John