[Samba] Unusable performance over WAN (part 2)

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Oct 6 21:59:20 GMT 2007

James Lamanna wrote:
> Hi all,
> Disregard my previous posts, I've consolidated everything here.
> I'm having terrible performance issues with samba over a WAN
> (point-to-point T1 link).
> Doing a copy of a 2MB file from a samba server to a linux client
> running smbclient takes over 5 minutes.
> SCPing the same file takes seconds.
>
> The server is running samba version 3.0.25c with kernel 2.6.16.18.
>
> I've put up a set of debugging logs at:
> http://emagiccards.com/james/sambalogs.tar.bz2
>
> Inside are 3 files:
> smb.conf - the configuration of the samba server
> log.agard - the level 10 debug log of the copy from samba
> samba-tcpdump.log - a tcpdump log from the client side of the copy
>
> Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated since the file
> server is pretty unusuable over the WAN.
> If you need any more information, please let me know. It is imperative
> that I find out what's happening here.

Well, there's always paid support.  See the samba web site.

testparm yeilds 1 error and 1 warning.
Unknown parameter encountered: "show preserve case"
Ignoring unknown parameter "show preserve case"

should probably be "short preserve case"

Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

When I specifically want samba to use an IP address, I use the IP
address in the interfaces clause.  eth1 can change when replacing
network cards.

I've used cifs over WAN a lot over the years.  It is slower than ftp and
scp but there shouldn't be breaks waiting for ACK.  You'll not want to
hear it, but this is almost always a network issue; card, router,
switch, WAN link box, etc.

I like larger packets for most of the uses of a server.  So I add to
"socket options" SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536

Regards, Doug